Crossing a finish line to start a new race



I have to begin this article with an apology. It's been a rough few months since my last entry. To begin with, the books are published. We've turned out the next three books in the series: Tortured Earth Core Rule Book, The Travel Journal of Mica Greer (Supplement), and The Unofficial Account of Gavin Harris (Supplement). In addition, we've produced a line of modules designed to get people playing the game. Each is a one-shot ending with a transition into another reality.

In all, we've managed to produce four mini-modules with a fifth in editing at this point. Kevin is currently working on his first module and I'm outlining more creatures for the next two supplements.

On top of all the writing, we've decided to take a leap of faith and make our works available in PDF format. As of now, we have the GM guide and both supplements on DriveThruRPG.com. We've even made a few sales. 

The main hesitation with releasing PDFs has been security. After speaking with other developers and reviewing the legal side of the issue, we felt it was time to make a release.

Of course, there's still the convention circuit. Since the first of the year, we've been traveling and promoting. According to my original plan, I should be retired now and focusing only on Tortured Earth. Unfortunately, things rarely go according to plan.

On the day I was to close my career in education, my superintendent reached out and let me know I was being promoted to a supervisory position. Naturally, the position is in an area I'm interested in pursuing - head of a STEM school. During the interview, I informed them I had a business and would not abandon it. The response was they wanted me because of my business. The theme of the school is game development. 

During the last convention, we were positioned next to another game developer. It was refreshing to be able to talk shop with someone facing the same issues as we were. In some aspects, we were ahead of the curve and able to offer sound advice to further his cause along. In other areas, he provided excellent advice. 

We've even managed to become friends and are currently reviewing each other's work. The opportunities this collaboration offers are interesting. He has not only a board game but a roleplay-board game hybrid. I've been sifting through the rules and find myself looking forward to playing it. On his part, he seems interested in creating stories for our system. 

It has been a while since I've met other game developers willing to work together. I'm hoping my new position will allow me to train the new generation of developers on the value of collaboration.

Thanks for reading!

-K. B. Kidder

NOTE: We've also updated the website to house our files and materials. Please check out www.torturedearth.com for downloadable content and links to purchase new works!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Never Ending Cycle

General Notes on Creature Development

One milestone within sight.